Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Back to school, back to physical education

Filed under:

Today, my oldest child begins first grade. I can't tell you how sad and happy this makes me. I'm sad because I realize my first baby boy is truly on his way to growing up. School has him now; I don't. I can't help but predict he will need me less and less as he takes on the world in his own independent way. This makes me happy too. I am eager to see how he fares on his own, how he develops, grows, and soars. And I must admit, I am pretty thrilled about having five mornings per week all to myself -- my youngest little boy begins school today too.

On Friday, we went to six-year-old Joey's elementary school for a meet-the-teacher event. Joey was right at home. He sat at his assigned desk, did a little drawing, and snuggled up in a pile of pillows in the reading corner. I felt right at home too, after reading a parent memo about public school physical education.

Fitness has become an everyday ritual for me. Along with eating right, it's my weapon for staying healthy and keeping cancer far away. I want this same ritual for my boys. It looks like Joey will get to embrace this way of life not only at home but while in the care of his teacher too.

"On May 15, 2007 Florida Governor Charlie Crist signed legislation that will ensure that public school elementary kids receive at least 150 minutes of physical education each week," read the memo. "Students will be participating in daily activity time in addition to their physical education class to meet this requirement."

Joey's teacher said the class will be dancing in class and doing exercise videos too. No more 40 minutes per week of PE class. I love it. Not only will lifetime fitness be encouraged in the classroom, a little exercise during the school day will do Joey's body a lot of good. According to an article in the September 2007 issue of Woman's Day magazine, classroom fitness activities can prevent weight gain and can even improve grades.

Researchers are East Carolina University found that children who did 10-minute bursts of activity -- such as jogging or jumping in place -- throughout the day were more likely to focus on schoolwork and follow classroom rules. The most improvement was detected among kids who were at first the least attentive. Researchers also found that teacher-led activities were easily incorporated into the classroom setting, without increasing the teacher's workload.

I'm sad my boys are growing up and away from me. But they are headed for environments that foster health and wellness. And that makes me happy.

Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments



Read More...

[Source: The Cancer Blog]

No comments: