Saturday, August 25, 2007

Survivor Spotlight: Ruth is rowing her way to victory

Filed under:

Ruth is a vivacious, energetic woman in her 70s who is active in the community. I've met her a few times and had the privilege to discuss her cancer story with her.

How did you discover that you had breast cancer? What types of treatment were recommended?
During a routine check-up, my doctor discovered a lump. He suggested a lumpectomy, but I spoke with a number of other physicians, including my brother, and they all recommended getting a full mastectomy to ensure that I wouldn't have a re-occurrence. After the surgery, the lump was examined and it was found to be highly unusual. Though it's not certain that the cancer would have come back, I don't regret getting a full mastectomy, and will recommend the same to my daughters if they develop breast cancer too. I know many women who only had a lumpectomy, and several of them have had a re-occurrence. Sadly, some of them are no longer with us.

How did your family react to the news?

My family was very supportive. In all honesty, I was glad to be the one to develop cancer because while I know that I am very strong, I don't know how my husband would've handled having cancer. I was also very relieved it wasn't one of my daughters.

Are you involved in any support groups, fundraisers or cancer organizations?
I'm one of the founding members of the Dragon Boat Sistership in my city. It was started in Vancouver by an internist who wanted to see how much physical exertion cancer survivors can endure, and since it's come to where I live, it's really caught on. Our team is a group of cancer survivors and we participate in races all over the country. I've been doing it for 10 years now -- I can hardly believe it!

The team is a great way to get to know other cancer survivors. Unfortunately, many of them aren't with us anymore. I feel very privileged to be on such a great team -- I'm one of the older members, and I think spending time with such a young, dynamic group of women keeps me young.

What advice would you give to someone diagnosed with cancer?
Hurry, hurry, hurry! Get it taken care of quickly, and don't be afraid to get tested.

What other thoughts do you have on being a cancer survivor?
Well, I count my blessings every single day. I'm very lucky to have beat cancer at my age.
Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments



Read More...

[Source: The Cancer Blog]

No comments: