Friday, September 7, 2007

Survivor Spotlight: Brave Jennifer continues to fight Hodgkin's

Filed under:

Jennifer Willey is a pretty 28-year old with a twinkle in her eye and a love of shopping and dancing. She's a much-loved daughter, friend and mum to an adorable potbellied pig named Willa. She's also embedded in a battle with Hodgkin's disease -- a battle she's been fighting since she was diagnosed in 2005. I found Jennifer's website through Alese Coco's Fight 2 Win site, and though Alese has tragically lost her battle, Jennifer is still fighting just as valiantly, and is just as determined that she will conquer cancer. I've never met her in person, but Jennifer has truly inspired me with her graciousness and her spirit. She is a survivor.

Unfortunately, Jennifer was not able to compile her thoughts for the Survivor Spotlight feature, as she's recently been admitted to the hospital. The answers below are snippets from her website:

On finding out she had cancer:

The year of 2004 came and went by so quickly. I was working full-time in human resources, was planning my wedding, and around two hours a day was spent commuting back and forth to work. I was running on adrenaline. I was tired most days, but figured it was from all the stress. My big day was October 9, 2004. It was a gorgeous day, everything turned out perfect. Soon after I noticed I was itching quite frequently, mainly on my legs. I also started having sweats. It was just about winter time, and each night I would wake up soaked. Chris thought I was losing my mind. I began to question it myself ...

I started a job at a career school as the Director of Career Services on April 14th, 2005. I had finally landed a challenging job. I was working 11 hour days, lecturing to a room full of students two hours at a time. My cough was unbearable. The itching was driving me crazy ... I was only on this job for a month when I was diagnosed with cancer. My health took priority and I had to forfeit.

(after experiencing a number of other symptoms and being diagnosed with Pneumonia)

I went in on Thursday, May 26th, 2005 to the surgeon, still thinking I had pneumonia. My surgeon told me I had Lymphoma. I had cancer. I was in complete shock. I had my Mother and Chris in the examining room with me thank God. I just couldn't believe that one minute I had pneumonia, and now I'm being told I have cancer.

On her ongoing fight with cancer:

Here we are two years later after May 26, 2005 the day that changed my life. So much has happened! I'm still fighting Lymphoma. I've had numerous months of chemotherapy, five weeks of radiation, two stem cell transplants, a clinical trial drug, and am now in the "waiting" phase. Still in a "bubble" from the outside world, I'm just taking it day by day. Keep Fighting, Smiling, & Laughing. That is what I do every day.

On the future:

What are my plans? Hmmm...good question. One day at a time. That's all we are all given. We don't have a guarantee of tomorrow. I wake up each day thankful that I am alive. I keep putting one foot in front of the other with a smile on my face. Humor is the best medicine.

On her mission (besides fighting for her health):

I'm hoping to spread awareness about Hodgkins Lymphoma, since it affects so many young adults. We often think of cancer as an "old person's disease," but that is not true. Cancer knows no age, no race. It doesn't discriminate. We all need to be aware of signs and symptoms and realize that we're not invincible ... remember, 'Dance like no one is watching; sing like no one is listening; love like you've never been hurt; and live every day as if it were your last.'

Please, let's send our best wishes to Jennifer as she continues to battle Hodgkin's. You can send well-wishes and find out more about Jennifer by visiting her website.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments



Read More...

[Source: The Cancer Blog]

No comments: